- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) apple cider
- 6 traditional English pork sausages
- 6 crusty sourdough rolls, warmed
- Baby rocket, to serve
- American mustard, to serve
- Step 1To make the relish, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook the chorizo, stirring, for 4 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Add onion and chilli to the pan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the apple for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the sugar for 2 minutes or until lightly caramelised. Stir in the cider. Return the chorizo to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Season with pepper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place the sausages in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat and cook, turning, for 15-17 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Step 3Split the rolls in half down the centre, taking care to not cut all the way through. Top with rocket, a sausage and relish. Drizzle with mustard.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
￼Red onion, or Spanish onion, is sweet, so it works well with pork and apple.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine