- 2 sheets edible rice paper (see note)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon glucose syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups pistachio kernels, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- You'll need a candy thermometer.
- Step 1Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Line base and long sides with foil, extending foil 3cm from edge of pan. Place 1 rice paper sheet over base of prepared pan.
- Step 2Place sugar, honey and glucose in a small saucepan. Place over low heat. Stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 155°C on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat.
- Step 3Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a large, heatproof bowl, until firm peaks form. Add hot honey mixture in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating until mixture cools (about 5 minutes). Add vanilla, pistachios, coconut and cranberries. Stir until just combined.
- Step 4Working quickly, spread mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining rice paper sheet. Press down to flatten and spread evenly. Set aside to cool completely. Cut nougat into squares.
- Diabetes friendly
- High carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Edible rice paper sheets are available in gourmet delicatessens.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas