- 30g butter
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg ham hock
- 400g sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup dried macaroni pasta
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- Step 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 2Add ham and 8 cups cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until ham is tender and falling off the bone. Add potato. Simmer for 15 minutes or until potato is just tender. Remove ham. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes. Remove and discard bones and rind. Shred ham.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- Step 4Add shredded ham, beans and pasta to soup mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Timesaver tip: Make soup to the end of step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas