- 60g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 500g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 100g (1 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 245g broccoli, cut into florets
- 500g piece ham off the bone, coarsely chopped
- 150g semi-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- White pepper, to season
- 3 sheets (25 x 25cm) of frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg, whisked
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- Step 1Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Cook the leek and mushroom, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth. Place over medium-high heat. stir with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens and comes to the boil. Add cheddar and mustard. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until cheddar melts.
- Step 2Place broccoli in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 minute or until bright green and tender crisp. refresh under cold water. Drain. Add broccoli, ham and tomato to sauce and stir to combine. Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside to cool slightly before assembling pies.
- Step 3How to assemble the pies: Use six 330ml (1 1/3-cup) capacity ovenproof dishes as a guide to cut 6 discs from 3 sheets (25 x 25cm) of frozen puff pastry, just thawed. Divide the filling among the dishes. Brush top edges of dishes with whisked egg, top with pastry discs and lightly press to seal. Brush the tops with the egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top. Place pies on a baking tray. Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste