- 500g small squid, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups micro salad leaves* or wild rocket
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated light palm sugar*
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves
- 2cm piece ginger, chopped
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/3-1/2 cup lime juice
- Step 1For dressing, simmer sugar and 1/2 cup (125ml) water over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring to dissolve. Cool syrup. Pound chilli, garlic, coriander and ginger to a paste in a mortar and pestle (or whiz in a food processor.) Stir into syrup with tomato, fish sauce, soy, and lime to taste.
- Step 2Remove tentacles from squid, then cut tubes open. Score a diamond pattern on inside of tubes, then cut into 5cm pieces. Toss all squid in a bowl with oil and 3 tablespoons dressing.
- Step 3Cook on an oiled chargrill or barbecue over high heat for 1 minute until just cooked. Toss squid with onion, salad leaves, chilli and remaining dressing.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
* Micro leaves are from farmers’ markets and selected greengrocers. Palm sugar is from selected and Asian supermarkets.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au