- 400g (2 cups) white long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Coriander leaves, extra, to garnish
- Step 1Cook the rice in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions until tender. Set aside in a colander for 4 hours to drain and cool.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large wok over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add onion and garlic and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add shallots and chilli and stir-fry for 1 minute or until tender.
- Step 3Add rice and stir-fry for 6 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and stir through coriander. Taste and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Step 4Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with extra coriander to garnish.
- High carb
- Lower gi
You can cook the rice (step 1) up to 1 day ahead. Drain well and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Continue from step 2, 15 minutes before serving.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Chris Chen
- Publication: Australian Good Taste