- 2 x 1.3kg whole fresh chickens
- 2 small red onions, coarsely grated
- 2 bunches fresh oregano, leaves picked, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long fresh green chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- Olive oil, to grease
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional), to serve
- Step 1Rinse 1 chicken inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use sharp kitchen scissors to cut along either side of the backbone. Discard backbone. Turn the chicken and open. Press to flatten. Place in a glass or ceramic dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Combine the onion, chopped oregano, lemon rind, garlic, chilli and oil in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the chickens. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Step 3Preheat a barbecue flat plate on high. Brush with oil. Cook the chickens, skin-side down, on barbecue for 10 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook for a further 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 4Cut into pieces and place on a serving platter. Top with oregano sprigs, if desired.
On the side: Greek salad: Combine 2 baby cos lettuce hearts, trimmed, cut into wedges; 3 tomatoes, chopped; 1 red capsicum, seeded, chopped; 1 Lebanese cucumber, trimmed, halved crossways, sliced; and 100g pitted kalamata olives, halved, in a large bowl. Arrange 200g feta, sliced, on top. Sprinkle with 1 tsp dried oregano. Whisk 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice and a pinch of sugar in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad.
Grilled polenta wedges: Brush base and sides of a 20 x 30cm pan with olive oil. Line the base and 2 long sides with baking paper. Bring 1L (4 cups) chicken stock to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add 170g (1 cup) polenta, whisking until well combined. Cook, stirring, for 12 minutes or until soft. Spread into lined tray. Set aside for 15 minutes to set. Preheat a barbecue grill on high. Brush flat plate with olive oil. Lift the polenta from pan. Cut into 8 pieces. Cut in half diagonally. Brush both sides with oil. Cook the polenta wedges on grill for 2 minutes each side or until crisp. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
Cook’s tips: Once you’ve cooked the chicken, follow these tips to cut it into pieces. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on a clean work surface. Use poultry shears or a sharp knife to cut the breast in half along the breastbone. Cut around the legs, between the thigh and the breast pieces.
- Author: Kerrie Ray
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste