Author Notes: These paleo, gluten-free cupcakes are moist and airy, topped with pillows of toasted marshmallow. Original recipe: http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/grain-free-chocolate-cupcakes-with-toasted-marshmallow-topping/ —Primal Palate
cup Coconut flour, sifted
cup Tapioca starch, sifted
cup Raw cacao powder, sifted
teaspoon Sea Salt
cup Maply Syrup
teaspoon Vanilla Extract
cup Palm Oil Shortening *sustainably sourced
- Preheat the oven to bake at 350 degrees
- Line 3 mini muffin pans with cupcake papers
- In a small sauce pan, melt the palm shortening. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together the coconut flour, tapioca starch, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla with a hand mixer over medium-high speed.
- Slowly add the sifted flour blend into the liquid mixture, and beat again, until the batter is smooth and slightly fluffy.
- Pour the cooled shortening into the batter, and beat again, until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter into each muffin mold.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick to be sure the mini cupcakes are fully cooked.
- Allow to cool before frosting.