- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 medium (600g) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed, roughly shredded
- 2 x 500g packets potato gnocchi
- 1/2 cup (125g) fresh reduced-fat ricotta cheese, crumbled
- Step 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic. Add tomato and chilli. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil and spinach. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until basil and spinach have just wilted.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling salted water following packet directions until tender. Drain.
- Step 3Add gnocchi to tomato mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve topped with ricotta.
- High carb
- High fibre
- Low fat
- Low sugar
Super saver: Use 375g dried penne pasta instead of gnocchi and save around $6.77 in total.
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas