- 350g chat potatoes, washed, halved
- 1 bunch baby (Dutch) carrots, peeled, trimmed
- 350g green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 800g blue-eye trevalla fillets, pin-boned, skinned, cut into 5cm pieces
- 800g medium green prawns, peeled with tails intact, cleaned
- 18 black mussels, scrubbed, bearded
- 1/2 loaf rustic-style Italian bread, cut into 5mm-thick slices, toasted
- 50g small black olives
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, torn
- 80g rustic-style Italian bread, crust removed
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine vinegar
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 6 Sicilian green olives, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed flat-leaf parsley
- 50g (1/3 cup) pine nuts, roasted
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Step 1To make salsa verde, tear bread into small pieces into the bowl of a food processor, then drizzle over vinegar. Remove yolks from hard-boiled eggs, discard whites, then add yolks to processor with remaining ingredients and a large pinch of salt. Process to a paste. Transfer to a bowl, cover, then set aside until needed. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- Step 2To cook vegetables, cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Meanwhile, cook carrots in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes or until tender, then remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in a bowl of iced water. Add beans to pan and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with carrots in iced water. Drain. Place vegetables and oil in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Step 3To cook seafood, place onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, lemon and 2L water in a deep frying pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add fish and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a tray. Add prawns to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until they turn red. Remove with slotted spoon and place on tray. Add mussels to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until they open. Remove with slotted spoon and place on tray. Discard cooking liquid.
- Step 4Place a layer of toasted bread on a platter, spread with a little salsa verde, then top with vegetables and a little more salsa. Top with seafood, then finish with a spoonful of salsa. Scatter with olives and serve with torn hard-boiled eggs.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
This layered salad from the Ligurian capital of Genoa is known in Italy as cappon magro.
- Author: Sophia Young
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: MasterChef