- 800g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 300g cauliflower, trimmed, chopped
- 1 chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded kale leaves
- 4 (about 1.2kg) chicken marylands
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 50g unsalted butter
- 60g (1/3 cup) Sicilian green olives, pitted, sliced
- Step 1Cook potato in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook for a further 15 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth.
- Step 2Cook the chorizo in an ovenproof frying pan over high heat for 3 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to paper towel. Reserve oil. Stir the chorizo and kale into potato mixture. Season with salt.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Place the pan, with the reserved oil, over high heat. Season the chicken. Cook the chicken, skin-side down, for 3 minutes. Turn and add the garlic and half the thyme. Roast for 30 minutes until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Step 4Meanwhile, heat 20g butter in the pan over high heat. Add 1⁄4 cup portions of potato mixture. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Add olives and remaining butter and thyme to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Step 5Divide the chicken and potato cakes among plates. Drizzle with the olive mixture.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Kale is a sneaky way to add antioxidants, vitamins A, C and K, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine