- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/3 cup currants
- 3/4 cup milk
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan-forced. Lightly dust a baking tray with flour.
- Step 2Sift flour, mixed spice and salt into a large bowl. Stir in sultanas and currants. Combine milk and 3/4 cup cold water in a jug. Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Add milk mixture. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir to form a soft, sticky dough (don’t overmix).
- Step 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until smooth. Cut dough in half. Shape 1 half into a 15cm round loaf. Repeat with remaining dough. Place loaves on prepared tray.
- Step 4Bake for 25 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Place on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- High carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Cooking class: Smoothing dough: Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Add milk mixture to well. Stir to combine. Making a well prevents the dough becoming lumpy when mixed.
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Sam McAdam
- Publication: Super Food Ideas