- 175g butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
Vanilla cream frosting
- 250g butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 19cm square (base) cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and orange rind together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in flours, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and milk. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Step 3Make frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Step 4Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half. Place base on a plate. Spread with half the frosting. Top with cake top. Spread remaining frosting over top of cake. Serve.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas