Author Notes: A simple dough made with baking powder instead of yeast, and fried in grapeseed oil. Topped off with some organic powdered sugar. Kids love it! —Dash of Amy
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon sea salt
tablespoons cold butter, cut in cubes
ounces grapeseed oil (or frying oil of your choice)
cups organic powdered sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and use a fork to press it into the flour mixture until crumbly. Add the water and mix well making a smooth dough using your hands.
- Use a deep fryer, or a large pot to heat the frying oil until hot and bubbly, or 375*.
- Break the dough into pieces and using your hands stretch it and flatten it into discs.
- Drop dough carefully into the oil and cook until golden on the underside, then flip and cook until golden on both sides.
- Place on a platter of paper towels, and sprinkle with organic powdered sugar.
Photo by Dash of Amy