- 1 large lemon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.7kg free-range whole chicken, cleaned, rinsed, patted dry
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bulbs garlic
- Potato mash, to serve
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- You will need unwaxed cooking string.
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C. Cut lemon in half. Juice 1 half.
- Step 2Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, crushed garlic and salt. Season with pepper. Rub baste over inside and outside of chicken. Place remaining lemon half and thyme in chicken cavity. Tie legs together with unwaxed string.
- Step 3Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Cut tops off garlic bulbs to expose tops of cloves. Drizzle garlic with remaining oil.
- Step 4Turn chicken over and place garlic, cut side up, around chicken on rack. Roast for a further 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Serve chicken with roasted garlic, mash and beans.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
Tip: Whole-roasted garlic can be used to add flavour to mayonnaises or dressings. It has a mellow, sweet flavour and will not taint your breath like fresh garlic.
- Author: Julie Jansen
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas