Author Notes: This is a main side dish that easily compliments prime rib or turkey; rutabaga’s earthy flavor, French onion pizzazz, caramelized onion, dots of cream and melted, browned Gruyere over stale baguette slices. Other root vegetables could easily be substituted…you make the call.
Anyway, the rutabaga from our garden harvest coupled with French onion soup flavors, a favorite of mine, is what inspired this recipe; it is always enjoyed by all.
*This recipe was a Whole Foods Market Au Gratin contest winner back when Food52 was connected with them.
Serves: 6 (a serving is 1 baguette slice with rutabaga/onion mixture evenly divided into 6 portions). doubles easily.
6 stale baguette slices cut from 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Set aside until needed.
2 medium rutabaga, (about ½ pound) sliced 1/4 inch thin
3 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 stick of salted butter, @ room temp. – assures you will have enough, will not use it all
1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
Salt and Pepper
Sherry (Lustau Dry Amontillado is my favorite to use)
8×5 oven & broiling safe baking dish – this recipe can easily be doubled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté the onion in a couple tablespoons butter and a tablespoon of sherry, until browned and limp – set aside. NOTE: I always save 6 raw onion rings aside for garnish.
Blanch the rutabaga slices in salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove from water and drain.
(It’s best to use young rutabaga; the older ones that are drier and tougher may need to blanch a little longer).
Coat the inside of the baking dish with butter.
Add the rutabaga slices; it’s ok to overlap, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the top and dot with cream – about 6-8 teaspoons.
- Top with the sautéed onion, season with pepper and dot with 6-8 teaspoons cream. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sherry over the top.
Add 6 stale baguette slices that have been buttered on both sides.
Dot the top of each baguette slice with sherry and cream.
- Top with the remaining cheese. Optional – add a raw onion ring over each baguette slice.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it starts to bubble; for the last few minutes broil a couple minutes to brown the top.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
1 of 2
2 of 2