- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 600g lean beef mince
- 80ml (1/3 cup) SPC Plum Sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- Step 1Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the ginger and Chinese five spice, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 2Combine the onion mixture and mince in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Roll 1 tablespoonful of the mixture into a ball. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with remaining mince mixture.
- Step 3Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Combine the plum sauce, rice wine and soy sauce in a jug. Add to the pan and toss until the meatballs are coated and the sauce is heated through.
- Step 4Spoon the steamed rice among serving plates. Top with the meatballs and drizzle over the sauce. Serve with steamed Asian greens.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste