- 1.5kg mixed chicken pieces, trimmed
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice rice bran oil cooking spray
- 450g packet white rice in 2 1/2 minutes
- 2 teaspoons Alfa One rice bran oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan-forced. Place a wire rack over a large baking tray. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in chicken.
- Step 2Combine cornflour, five spice, pepper and salt in a large snap-lock bag. Brush chicken with lemon juice. Spray lightly with oil. Place in snap-lock bag. Seal. Toss to coat. Place chicken on wire rack. Bake for 30 minutes, spraying chicken lightly with oil halfway through cooking, or until golden and crisp.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cook rice according to packet directions. Transfer to a bowl. Cool for 10 minutes. Heat a wok over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Swirl to coat. Stir-fry egg for 2 to 3 minutes or until scrambled. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining oil to wok. Swirl to coat. Add rice, onion, peas, soy sauce and egg. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve chicken with rice mixture.
- Low carb
Buy mixed chicken pieces in bulk and freeze in a single layer in a freezer or snap-lock bag for up to 3 months.
Timesaver shortcut: We’ve saved you time by using white rice in 2 1/2 minutes, which is cooked in the microwave.
About this recipe: We used a combination of chicken drumsticks, wings and chicken thigh cutlets with the skin on. They’re available from the supermarket deli or the fresh meat and poultry section.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas