- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 4 zucchini, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained, chopped
- 400g canned cherry tomatoes*
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 small dried chilli, crumbled
- Handful of black olives
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 400g fettuccine
- Step 1Heat 1/3 cup (80ml) oil in a large, deep frypan on medium-high heat. Add eggplant and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel. Cook zucchini, in a little more oil if needed, for 1-2 minutes until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add garlic, parsley, anchovies, canned and fresh tomatoes, chilli, eggplant and zucchini. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick. Stir in olives and vinegar, then season.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions, then drain. Toss with sauce and remaining oil. Serve with extra parsley.
- High fibre
*From delis and gourmet food shops, or use canned chopped tomatoes.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au