- 4 (about 220g each and 2cm-thick) pork loin chops, fat trimmed
- 1 tbsground fennel or 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, ground
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1kg (about 5) pontiac potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, roughly chopped
- 185ml (3/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 50g butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 bunches rocket, ends trimmed, washed, dried
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Step 1Place the pork chops on a large baking tray. Place the ground fennel in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Press the fennel mixture firmly on each side of the pork chops. Cover and set aside in the fridge until required.
- Step 2Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and apples, and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Step 3Meanwhile: heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the onion is soft. Remove from the heat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onion and garlic to a small, heatproof bowl. Cover and set aside. Reserve the oil.
- Step 4Drain the potatoes and apples. Place in a food processor with the butter and process until mixture is smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return potato mixture to the saucepan, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Step 5Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the chops and cook for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon of the oil and the remaining chops.
- Step 6Mix the rocket and onion mixture together in a bowl. Use a whisk to whisk the vinegar and the remaining reserved oil in a small bowl.
- Step 7To serve, spoon the potato and apple mash onto serving plates and top with the chops and onion mixture. Serve with the rocket mixture and drizzle with the dressing.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Microwave tip 1: Wash the potatoes well. With the water still clinging, place the potatoes in a medium, heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Cover the potatoes with a sheet of damp paper towel and cover the bowl with a lid or double layer of plastic wrap. Cook on High/800 watts/100% for 6-8 minutes or until just tender when inserted with a skewer. Microwave tip 2: Place apples and 1 tbs of water in a shallow, medium, heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and cook on High/800watts/100% for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Drain and add the apples to the potatoes. Note: Use a mortar and pestle or a blender with a spice-grinder attachment to pound or grind the fennel seeds to a coarse powder.
- Author: Rodney Dunn
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste