- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Masterfoods Mixed Herbs
- 600g beef mince
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons beef gravy powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dish. Line base and side with 1 pastry sheet. Trim excess. Place dish on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights and paper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mushroom and herbs. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mushroom has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Step 3Combine gravy powder and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a jug. Add to pan. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into pastry case. Top with remaining pastry. Press edges to seal. Trim excess. Cut a small cross in the centre of pie top. Brush top with egg. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
To freeze: Set aside to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 1 month. To cook: Thaw in fridge overnight. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Remove plastic wrap. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas