- 1 (550g) large eggplant
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Greek salad, to serve (see note)
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place eggplant on prepared tray. Roast for 45 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Cool.
- Step 2Halve eggplant lengthways. Squeeze out excess liquid. Using a metal spoon, scoop out flesh onto a chopping board. Finely chop. Transfer to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, flour, fetta, onion, basil and parsley. Season with pepper. Stir to combine. Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- Step 3Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper. Serve patties with Greek salad.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
To make Greek salad, combine 1 baby cos lettuce, 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped, 1 red capsicum, chopped, 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped, 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges, and 1/4 cup kalamata olives in a bowl. Combine 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Drizzle over salad.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Chris L Jones
- Publication: Super Food Ideas