- Olive oil spray
- 2 eggs
- 2 thick slices multigrain bread
- Butter (optional), at room temperature, to spread
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small avocado, stone removed, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Step 1To make the salsa, combine the tomato, avocado, lemon juice and chives in a bowl.
- Step 2Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Spray two 6cm heart-shaped cutters with oil. Place the cutters in the prepared pan. Carefully break an egg into each cutter. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until set.
- Step 3Meanwhile, toast the bread until golden. Spread with a little butter, if desired, and place on serving plates.
- Step 4Use tongs to carefully lift the cutters away from the eggs. Top each piece of toast with an egg. Spoon over the salsa and sprinkle with parmesan.
Tips: Make sure you spray the inside of the cutters well with oil so the eggs don’t stick. To do it, hold a cutter in one hand with the tips of your fingers and spray with the oil.
As you crack the egg, hold it closely over the frying pan so it falls neatly into the cutter with the yolk in the centre.
- Author: Kerrie Ray
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste