- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 6 thin pork sausages
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 450g packet long-grain white rice in 2 1/2 minutes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Add sausages. Cook, turning, for 6 to 8 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer sausages to a plate. Cut into 3cm pieces.
- Step 2Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add flour, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock. Add tomato paste and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 3Add rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add peas and sausages. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until liquid has absorbed. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Cathie Lonnie
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons, Al Richardson & Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas