Author Notes: The theory behind this ice cream recipe is simple. Take a creamy-fatty base (the coconut milk), add a super rich, decadent yogurt (vegan, if accessible), and sweeten with the natural sugars found in honey and dates. Whip these ingredients together for a super rich ice cream that never curdles, ices, or lets you down. Slightly acidic and delicately sweet, this ice cream is a perfect harmony. Kind to the belly, delicious for the soul. —Tasty Plan
Food52 Review: This simple ice cream (or frozen yogurt) recipe is delightlfuly easy to put together and is very unique. I used the Greek yogurt option, which meant the ice cream has a sour tang that balanced well with the other flavors. I would be leery of using the coconut yogurt option as I think it would taste extremely coconut-y, overpowering the dates and honey. If I were to make this again, I might add slightly more honey and would definitely top with toasted coconut. This is a perfect summer dessert, cold, refreshing, and not too sweet. —Foodio Centric
Makes: about 3 cups
14-ounce can best-quality light coconut milk
cup raw local honey
cup best-quality coconut yogurt (ideally Anita’s Creamline Yogurt) or best-quality Greek yogurt
- Place coconut milk in a large pot over very low heat. Stir in honey. Whisk until honey dissolves into the milk.
- Remove from heat. Add coconut yogurt and whisk together.
- Add dates into the coconut mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least two hours and up to one full day.
- Transfer mixture into blender. Blend at high speed for a minute or so, until dates have been fully incorporated into coconut mixture.
- Pour coconut mixture into pre-frozen ice cream machine, turn on at the lowest speed, and run according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
1 of 2
Photo by James Ransom
2 of 2