Author Notes: These Rice Krispies Treats are all grown up. Sweet, crunchy, and slightly chewy–just like the ones you ate as a kid, but these treats are savory too with a surprising kick.
For road trips I make these in a 9×9-inch pan and cut them into 3-inch square monster treats. For cocktail parties I use a 9×13-inch pan to create bite-sized squares that are perfect companions for a glass of bubbly. Want to glam them up a bit? Try drizzling the squares with melted white chocolate.
(Inspired by the Curried Rice Krispies Squares Chef Justin Large used to make for The Violet Hour in Chicago.) —Bob Vivant
Makes: 9-10 dozen
tablespoons coconut oil
tablespoons Madras curry powder (yellow curry)
10-ounce bag marshmallows
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup unsweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan with coconut oil.
- In a large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons of coconut oil over low heat. Add curry, salt, and marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, coconut, cashews, and rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using lightly oiled hands or waxed paper evenly press the mixture into the prepared pan. Let cool at room temperature.
- Cut into 1-inch squares and serve.