- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup dried panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, half cut into batons, half thinly sliced
- 1/2 baby cos lettuce heart, leaves separated
- 1/2 large carrot, cut into batons
- 300g cleaned fresh calamari tubes
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Step 1Place cornflour on a plate. Season with salt. Place breadcrumbs on another plate. Whisk egg in a shallow dish.
- Step 2Place cucumber batons, baby cos leaves and half the carrot in a small bowl.
- Step 3Cut calamari into 1cm-thick rings (see note). Pat dry with paper towel.
- Step 4Lightly toss calamari rings in cornflour. Dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs.
- Step 5Pour enough oil into a large, deep heavy-based frying pan to come 5mm up side of pan. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Cook calamari rings, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden.
- Step 6Drain on paper towel. Serve with sides. (see note)
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Cook’s note: Use the thin end of calamari tubes to make calamari rings.
Serving suggestion: Combine 2 tablespoons Taylor’s mango dressing with 2 teaspoons cold water. Serve calamari with carrot, cucumber, cos leaves and dressing.
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas