Author Notes: Crispy, flaky, and fluffy all at the same time, m’smmen is Morocco’s favorite pastry. Traditionally a breakfast staple, you can also enjoy this as an afternoon snack. Serve warm with a side of argan oil and honey paired with hot Moroccan mint tea. Such a delectable and worldly treat! —Dip&Scoop
Food52 Review: WHO: Dip&Scoop lives in New York City where he is a purveyor of argan oil.
WHAT: A flaky, addictive Moroccan pancake that’s perfect for dipping into honey.
HOW: Make a dough out of semolina flour, plain flour, and salt. Divide and flatten the dough into pancakes then cook each one on a griddle. Once golden brown, remove them from the heat and dip them to your heart’s content.
WHY WE LOVE IT: These Moroccan pancakes were consumed by the Food52 staff as soon as they left the test kitchen. It’s too bad they disappeared so quickly — they make great leftovers when reheated in a toaster. If you don’t have argan oil on hand, these are just as irresistible paired with butter and honey. —The Editors
Makes: 8 pancakes
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 5 min
cups semolina flour, divided
cups all-purpose flour
cups warm water
cup melted butter
cup vegetable oil
tablespoons argan oil, for dipping
tablespoons honey, for dipping
- In a large bowl, mix together 2/3 cup semolina, all-purpose flour, and salt. Stir in the warm water, then knead the mixture to obtain a smooth dough. Roll it into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and coat each ball with vegetable oil. Let the dough rest for another 15 minutes.
- On an oiled surface, use your hands to flatten out each ball of dough in a thin layer. Brush with melted butter and vegetable oil and sprinkle with the remaining semolina.
- Take one of the balls of dough, and fold one side of the dough 2/3 in across the dough. Then, fold the other side over the overlapping dough. This should make a long strip of 3 layers of thin dough. Fold the two ends of the dough 1/3 of the way in so that they meet in the middle. You should now have a rectangle of dough. Fold it one last time across the middle to make a perfect square approximately 4 inches wide. Repeat with each ball of dough.
- Place a griddle over medium heat, and while it warms up, use your hand to gently flatten the squares into larger, thinner squares, about 6 inches wide.
- Immediately place the flattened dough onto the pan or griddle and cook on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot off the griddle. Roll the m’smmen, dip it into argan oil, then dip it into honey and enjoy!
1 of 2
Photo by Bobbi Lin
2 of 2