Author Notes: Cretons is a French Canadian dish; it is very popular in French-speaking areas of Canada especially Quebec. It is a pork spread containing onions and spices. —anka
Serves: lot of people
Prep time: 8 hrs
Cook time: 2 hrs 15 min
pounds ground pork
medium onions, small dice or grated on cheese grater
cloves of garlic, minced or grated
teaspoon ground cloves
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
cup panko bread crumbs pulverised in food processor (or not)
- Place all ingredients except bread crumbs in a large pot on high temperature and cook stirring constantly until all meat stay separated and not in the lumps.
- Turn heat down to medium and cover with lid.
- As the pork simmered for 2 hours stir occasionally if it gets to dry add some water. On the end take the lid off and let the most water evaporate stir in bread crumbs and mix for next 5-6 minutes.
- Take off the stove, scope mixture into ramekins or small loaf pan lined with saran wrap, cover and let cool in the fridge overnight.
- Serve with nice crusted toasted bread, topped with mustard and pickles, sliced or chopped hard boiled egg or just plain.
- This can be frozen too.
Photo by anka