- 1kg desiree potatoes, unpeeled (see note)
- 3 green onions, trimmed
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- Step 1Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut roughly into 3cm pieces. Place in a large heatproof bowl.
- Step 2Meanwhile, roughly chop white part of onions (about 10cm). Reserve green tops. Place roughly chopped onion, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small food processor. Process until mixture is almost smooth.
- Step 3Add onion mixture to warm potato. Toss to combine. Stand for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Step 4Thinly slice reserved green onion. Place onion, mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons cold water in small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add mayonnaise mixture to potato mixture. Gently stir to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Nicola, kipfler or chat potatoes are also best for boiling and using in salads.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Craig Wall
- Publication: Super Food Ideas