- 800g desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (about 150g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 200ml Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Wholegrain Mustard
- 80ml (1/3 cup) thickened cream
- 150ml milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Salt, to season
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the potato in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 3Heat the frying pan over medium heat. Add the stock and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in mustard and cream. Cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Bring the milk and garlic almost to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add to the potato. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Divide mash, chicken and sauce among serving plates. Serve with beans.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Salmon with wasabi mash: Omit mustard and beans. Replace the chicken with 4 salmon fillets. Replace garlic with 2 tsp wasabi paste. Reduce stock to 100ml chicken stock. In step 2, cook salmon in pan for 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. In step 3, add 80ml (1/3 cup) white wine with the stock. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add cream, 4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced, and 2 tbs sliced pickled ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Divide salmon and mash among serving plates. Drizzle over sauce. Serve with steamed baby pak choy.
Steak with kumara mash: Omit the stock, milk, garlic and beans. Replace the potatoes with 800g orange sweet potato (kumara). Replace the chicken with 4 beef sirloin steaks. Replace mustard with 90g (1/4 cup) basil pesto. Increase cream to 125ml (1/2 cup) cream. In step 2, cook steaks in pan for 3 minutes each side for medium. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. In step 3, add cream and pesto to pan. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Divide mash among serving plates. Top with beef. Drizzle over pesto mixture. Serve with baby rocket leaves. Quince lamb with potatoes: Omit cream, milk and garlic. Replace the potatoes with 400g Woolworths Fresh Baby Potatoes with Butter & Herbs. Replace chicken with 8 lamb loin chops. Replace the mustard with 50g quince paste. Reduce oil to 2 tsp olive oil. Omit step 1. In step 2, cook lamb in pan for 2-3 minutes each side for medium. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. In step 4, heat potatoes following packet directions.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Sue Ferris
- Publication: Australian Good Taste