- 400g penne rigate
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 slices ham off the bone, sliced
- 375ml evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil spray. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until just soft, then add the mushroom and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Step 3Add the garlic and ham and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the evaporated milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring regularly, to avoid the sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Step 4Meanwhile mix together the cornflour and 1 tablespoon water until it forms a smooth paste. Stir into the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Add the cooked pasta, salt, pepper, parsley and parmesan to the pan and toss until well combined. Serve with a simple salad.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kate Murdoch
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Taste.com.au