- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 175g packet rindless shortcut bacon rashers, sliced
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 cup drained semi-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cup pure cream
- 500g packet gnocchi
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Small fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Semi-dried cherry tomatoes, optional
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened and bacon is golden. Add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned all over.
- Step 2Add mustard, garlic and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in stock and cream. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in gnocchi and basil. Season with pepper.
- Step 3Spoon mixture into a 12-cup capacity baking dish. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle over gnocchi mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with basil and semi-dried tomatoes, if using.
Variation: For a tuna bake, replace chicken with a 425g can tuna in oil, drained, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. You’ll save $2.71.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas