This chicken and spinach bake taste so good that it is hard to believe it is dairy-free.
- 250g penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 500g chicken mince
- 300g butternut pumpkin, peeled, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 cups creamy original soy milk (we used Vitasoy brand)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 150g baby spinach
- 50g potato chips, roughly crushed
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 10 minutes or until browned. Add pumpkin, sage, stock and soy milk. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender.
- Step 3Combine cornflour and 2 tablespoons of warm water. Stir into sauce. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Add spinach and pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Step 4Spoon mixture into a 12-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with chips. Bake for 15 minutes or until chips are golden.
All nutrition values are per serve
Sprinkle grated soy ‘cheddar cheese’ over pasta before baking.
- Author: Jody Vassallo
- Image credit: Sue Ferris
- Publication: Super Food Ideas
Leave a Reply