Makes: 8 to 12
cups masa harina
cups hot water
- Dissolve salt into the measured glass of warm water. Pour over the bowl of masa harina slowly, stirring as you go.
- Mix until combined; smooth but not sticky. Knead/press into a ball. Cover, and let rest for as long as you can wait 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Lay out a few (2 to 3) sheets of parchment paper and fetch that nifty casserole dish or pyrex to help you press out the dough.
- Pinch off a golf-ball sized chunk of dough and roll into a smooth ball. Set between two pieces of parchment and start to flatten a bit with your hand. Continue with hands, or for even edges, grab a heavy bowl and put your weight into it over the sheets of parchment and the ball. Remove, peel back parchment, viola.
- Cook for two minutes on each side in an non-greased frying pan (cast iron is best). Set aside and begin to stack ‘em up.
- Fill with something tasty.
Photo by Happyolks