- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 corncobs, kernels removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 15g butter, melted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) bought guacamole or avocado dip
- 50g smoked salmon slices
- 50g shaved ham
- Step 1Sift the flour into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the buttermilk and egg in a large jug. Pour into the well. Whisk until well combined. Stir in the corn and chives, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the batter to the jug. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Step 2Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush lightly with one-third of the butter. Drop six 1-tablespoonful quantities of batter into the pan from the tip of the spoon, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and pancakes are golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining butter and batter, reheating the pan between batches. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3Top each pancake with 1 teaspoon of the guacamole. Arrange smoked salmon on half the pancakes. Top the remaining pancakes with the ham.
All nutrition values are per serve
Serves 6 as a starter.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste