Author Notes: I found the basics for this recipe in a magazine and then changed it over the years and doubled the glaze. It’s sweet, savory and colorful. My family, which includes many little grandkids, love it. Company Carrots is a perfect accompaniment to any poultry dish or great with just a grilled steak. – 2nd Street Sue —2nd Street Sue
Food52 Review: I made these to have with roast chicken. The fresh ginger and balsamic vinegar were nice, sharp notes in these glazed carrots. I cut reduced the jam to half a cup and that seemed to control the sweetness a bit. I also threw in some fresh lemon thyme, since my husband is anti-cilantro. These were tasty glazed carrots. Thumbs up. —Lizthechef
Serves: 10 – 12
pound carrots, sliced or use baby carrots
scallions, minced green and white parts
tablespoons fresh peeled ginger, minced or 1 1/2 tablespoon jarred ginger paste
cup apricot jam
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
cup orange juice
garlic clove, peeled/sliced thinly
salt to taste
chopped cilantro (optional)
- In large skillet, steam carrots in water until fork ready. Drain and store until ready to use.
- To make glaze: Melt butter in large skillet and add scallions, garlic,and ginger until soft.
- Add apricot jam, vinegar, orange juice and salt (if using any). Let ingredients heat through, 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon carrots into skillet with glaze and reheat until glaze covers carrots and all are heated through.
- Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired.