Author Notes: “Jelly” is a British term for a gelatin dessert and mine is adapted from a recipe in “The Lancaster County Cookbook”. I omitted the walnuts in the gelatin, preferring almonds as a garnish. I sweetened and flavored the cream, finishing off the jelly with a few curls of lemon zest. —Lizthechef
envelope unflavored gelatin
cup cold water
cup very hot brewed coffee
cup white sugar plus 1 teaspoon, divided use
cup whipping cream
teaspoon almond extract
toasted sliced almonds
lemon zest curls
- Empty the gelatin granules into a glass loaf pan. Add the cold water and stir to soften gelatin.
- Add the hot coffee to gelatin and stir well to dissolve.
- Add sugar and stir.
- Refrigerate until jelly has set, about 3 hours.
- Chill 4 martini glasses in freezer.
- Cut the jelly into small cubes and return to fridge while you whip the cream.
- In a deep-sided bowl, add the cream, sugar and almond extract. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Gently stir the jelly cubes into the cream.
- Spoon into chilled glasses, garnish with almonds and lemon zest. Serve immediately.