- 2 (about 600g) chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced lengthways
- 3/4 cup (115g) plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cups (100g) shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (125ml) light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large red chilli, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (80g) unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1/2 (about 600g) wombok, coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white vinegar
- You will need to soak 20 small bamboo skewers in cold water for 15 minutes for this recipe.
- Step 1Thread the chicken evenly among skewers.
- Step 2Place the flour, egg and coconut in separate bowls. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken skewers into the flour and shake off any excess. Dip in egg then coat the chicken in coconut; gently press to coat.
- Step 3Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the skewers in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Continue cooking the remaining skewers adding a little extra oil as needed. Transfer the skewers to an oven tray and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 4Place the garlic, chilli and salt in a mortar and gently pound into a paste with a pestle. Add the sugar and peanuts and gently pound until coarsely crushed. Transfer the peanut mixture to a large salad bowl and toss with the wombok and vinegar. Serve the wombok salad with the warm chicken skewers.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Lower gi
If you are busy the skewers can be cooked the day before and warmed in a low oven to serve.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Notebook: