Author Notes: Porridge is my usual breakfast and I never get tired of it because you can always mix it up with different flavourings and toppings. One of my favourite ways to make porridge is to simmer it in coconut water, add a little red quinoa for texture, and top it with an easy to make berry compote.
Coconut water is super hydrating and loaded with vitamins and minerals, so cooking your porridge in it is an easy way of making your morning porridge even more nutritious.
And if you’ve never made your own compote before, not to worry – it really couldn’t be easier! Compote is simply a mixture of fresh fruit and a little sweetener, heated slowly until the juices start to come out of the fruit. Some people add a bit of water or juice to the fruit, but I find this is unnecessary and sometimes makes the compote too runny. You can adjust the amount of sweetener to taste – I like my compote more tart than sweet so use just 1 tsp of coconut sugar. —Homemake
Makes: 4 servings
cups coconut water
cups mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
teaspoon sweetener, such as coconut sugar
- Measure the oats and quinoa and place into a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the coconut water.
- Bring the porridge to a simmer over a low heat.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. It’s ready when the porridge is smooth and you can see the quinoa grains starting to open up.
- If using strawberries, cut them in half so they’re about the same size as the other berries.
- Combine the berries, sweetener, and vanilla in a medium sized saucepan.
- Heat the berries slowly over a low flame.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. It’s ready when the compote has created a sauce, but you can still see some whole berries.
- Top the porridge with compote, then drizzle with maple syrup or your favourite sweetener. Leftover porridge and compote can be stored in the fridge for a few days. To reheat the porridge, just add a little bit of extra water and reheat on the stove.
Photo by Homemake