- 160g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup milk
- 400g tub tropical fruit salad in juice, drained (see tip)
- Thick custard, to serve
Coconut crumble topping
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 60g butter, chilled, chopped
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 22cm (base) round springform pan. Line base and side with 2 layers baking paper.
- Step 2Make crumble Place sugar, coconut and flour in a bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Step 3Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, stir in flour, coconut and milk.
- Step 4Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with fruit followed by coconut crumble mixture. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with custard.
- High protein
Tip: Make sure fruit is well drained. Pat dry with paper towel. You could also use canned pear, apricot or peach halves, drained, dried and chopped.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas