- 150g butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Steamed vegetables, to serve
- Salt, to season
- 8 toothpicks
- Step 1Place butter, garlic and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mash with a fork to combine. Spoon mixture into the centre of a 20cm piece of plastic wrap. Roll up to enclose butter mixture, twisting ends to seal. Roll on a board to form a 10cm-long log. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Step 2Using a sharp knife, make a deep cut along 1 side of each chicken breast to form a large pocket (do not cut all the way through). Remove plastic wrap from butter. Cut butter into 16 thick slices. Place 4 butter slices into each pocket. Secure with toothpicks to enclose filling.
- Step 3Place breadcrumbs on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour on a plate. Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg. Coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a large baking tray. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to cover the base. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Place on prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 5Serve with mashed potato and steamed vegetables.
- Low carb
Allow 1 hour for refrigeration.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas