- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 150g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar
- Step 1Process flour, brown sugar, golden syrup, cinnamon, cloves and butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg. Process to combine. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Divide in half. Shape halves into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Step 3Roll 1 dough disc between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using a 7cm-round cookie cutter, cut 15 rounds from dough. Repeat with remaining dough disc to make 30 rounds in total. Place on prepared trays. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on trays. Serve.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Author: Cathie Lonnie
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas