- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400g tomato medley mix (see note)
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 375g linguine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over high heat. Add chorizo and cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until browned. Add garlic, onion and eggplant, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until eggplant starts to soften. Add tomatoes and chilli flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 80ml (1/3 cup) cooking water.
- Step 3Add pasta and reserved cooking water to eggplant mixture and cook, tossing, over medium–high heat for 3 minutes or until warmed through and combined. Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
- Step 4Divide pasta among bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to serve.
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
Tips: We used Moraitis Tomato Medley Mix, available from selected supermarkets and greengrocers.
To turn this into a vegetarian meal, omit the chorizo and add roasted pine nuts and grated parmesan in step 4.
Substitute your favourite pasta for the linguine
- Author: Olivia Andrews
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: MasterChef