- 25ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 255g (1 1/4 cups) quinoa
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 380g squid tubes, scored, cut into 5cm lengths
- Small parsley leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Step 1Heat 10ml of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook chorizo, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Add the onion, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Stir in the paprika for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until coated. Stir in the tomato and stock. Season. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place the squid in a bowl and drizzle with the remaining oil. Season. Toss to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the squid, in 2 batches, turning, for 1 minute or until squid curls and is just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 4Top quinoa mixture with squid. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Replace the squid tubes with 400g chicken thigh fillets. Season and chargrill for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine