- 6 (500g) fresh chorizo sausages (see note)
- 200g marinated roasted capsicums (see note)
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 300g savoy cabbage
- 2 eschalots
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Step 1Flatten sausages, firmly pushing down on them with your hands (this will make cooking quicker and easier), then cut each one into 3 widthwise. Cut capsicums into 12 wide strips, then thread 2 pieces of capsicum and 3 pieces of sausage alternately onto skewers. Makes 6.
- Step 2Heat a chargrill pan or heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Cook skewers, turning, for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make salad, drain chickpeas and rinse under running water. Drain again and place in a large bowl. Pick parsley leaves, finely shred cabbage, thinly slice eschalots and cut apple into julienne (matchsticks), then add to chickpeas.
- Step 4Juice lemon. Whisk mustard, vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl, then gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over chickpea mixture and toss well to combine.
- Step 5Serve skewers with the salad.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Lower gi
You’ll need 6 x 25cm bamboo skewers. Tips: Fresh chorizo sausages and marinated roasted capsicums are from delis and supermarkets.
- Author: Sophia Young
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: MasterChef