Author Notes: If you have never had Monkeybread you are missing out. I grew up eating MonkeyBread and I thought it would be nice to make smaller versions of them as a sweet breakfast treat. This is adapted from Hannah of Honey and Jam by adding orange zest and unsweetened cocoa. I promise your guests will not stop eating these! —Table9
Makes: 1 dozen
Cans of Regular Buttermilk Biscuits (not the flaky ones or butter flavored)
cup Granulated Sugar
teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
cup Light Brown Sugar
Sticks of Unsalted Butter
teaspoon Orange Zest, Minced
tablespoon Fresh Juice from an Orange
tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
- Preheat oven to the temperature required in the biscuit instructions.
- Pop open each biscuit can, and cut each biscuit into four equal pieces. Set aside.
- Pour granulated sugar, cinnamon, 1 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa and orange zest in a large Ziploc bag and put all the biscuit pieces inside. Seal it and shake to cover the biscuit pieces evenly.
- Place squares of parchment paper in inside each cup of a muffin tin or individual ramekins without parchment if you desire, filling each about 2/3 up. You can also make these in a bundt cake pan, I just prefer individual portable ones.
- In a skillet, combine brown sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cocoa, juice of orange and butter over low heat. Cook until butter is melted completely. Using a tablespoon, pour about 2 tablespoons of liquid over each muffin cup or ramekin.
- Bake for as long as recommended on the biscuit instructions. Remove and serve in parchment paper cups or eat them right out of the ramekin.