- 250g plain chocolate biscuits (see note)
- 125g butter, melted
- 180g milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 5 eggwhites
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- Step 1Grease a 2cm-deep, 23cm (base) loose-based round fluted flan tin. Process biscuits until finely chopped. Add butter. Process to combine. Press mixture over base and side of prepared tin. Place on a baking tray. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium-high (75%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring with a metal spoon every 30 seconds, or until melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Step 3Top biscuit base with chocolate hazelnut spread. Pour over chocolate mixture. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Step 4Preheat grill on high. using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites and sugar on high speed for 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Spoon mixture over chocolate layer. using a spatula, make furrows in top. grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until top is golden. Set aside for 10 minutes. Serve.
- High protein
- Low sodium
We used Choc Ripple biscuits.
Tip: Keep pie in the fridge while making meringue topping so it stays cold enough to retain its shape when grilling.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas