- 50g (1/2 cup) raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free cornflour
- 50g CSR Sugars of the World Mexican Agave Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 230g (2 1/4 cups) hazelnut meal
- 40g dark chocolate (85% cocoa), finely chopped
- 100ml light flavour extra virgin olive oil
- 125g (1/3 cup) honey
- 80ml (1/3 cup) freshly brewed espresso
- 5 egg whites
- 10 hazelnuts, thinly sliced
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease nine 110ml-capacity friand tins and line with strips of baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Step 2Sift the cacao, cornflour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the hazelnut meal and half the chocolate. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Step 3Combine the oil and honey in a heatproof bowl. Microwave on High for 30 seconds or until honey is runny. Stir in the espresso. Use a balloon whisk to whisk the egg whites until just frothy. Add the oil mixture and whites to the well in the cacao mixture. Gently fold to combine. Divide among prepared tins. Sprinkle with sliced hazelnut and remaining chocolate. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in tins for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- High fibre
- High protein
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: Taste Magazine