- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra 1/2 for brushing (from the pantry)
- 500g beef casserole chuck steak, cut into 2 cm chunk
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1cm chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican chilli powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons regular ground cumin seeds
- 2 cups Campbell's Real beef stock
- 400g can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 large pita bread, cut into small wedges
- Step 1Heat oil. In a large heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add the beef and brown. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until onion has softened. Add the carrot and celery, cook a further 4 minutes.
- Step 2Add the chilli powder and 2 teaspoons cumin and cook for a minute. Add the stock and tomatoes, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Step 3Add beans and simmer covered, for a further 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 180C conventional/160C fan forced. When chilli is ready, cover tray with baking paper and place pita on top. Brush with oil and sprinkle with remaining cumin, salt and pepper. Bake until edges start to brown and pitas are crisp, approx. 7 minutes.
- Step 5To serve, divide chilli con carne among four bowls and serve with pita chips.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Curtis Stone
- Image credit: (N/A)
- Publication: Coles